A little bit about me...

I am a second degree seeking student at the University of South Alabama. I have a Bachelor of Arts in Communication from 2003. I am currently seeking a second Bachelors, senior status, in Special Education. My desire to seek a second degree is to assure each child has an advocate and to become more involved with the needs of my own special needs six year old boy. I have been in the Alabama Educational System since 2003. I taught one year in Conecuh County at Lyeffion Jr. High School under the administration of Diana Lyons, 2003-2004. I taught one year in the Monroe County School System at Monroeville Junior High under the administration of Lana Wilson, 2004-2005. I am currently in the Mobile County System and have been since 2007. I currently work under Title 1 and currently under the administration of Joe Toomey.

Teaching in a Diverse Society

“If you have come here to help me, then you are wasting your time, but if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.”
--------unidentified Australian Aboriginal woman

As an educator, my goal is to give each student an equal yet quality education. There are a number of laws established to protect a certain type of student however; there are no laws against institutionalized treatment. Institutionalized treatment results in little to none education for a particular race of students. The race in particular is African American. As early as elementary school, students are required to standardized test. Standardize testing is targeted towards the success of white American’s so a lack of opportunity is presented to the entire minority race. Students of color are limited from the very beginning and my place as an educator is to decrease this behavior from occurring. I am fully aware of the laws I must abide in my position as an educator but while successfully fulfilling the status quo I will stretch the boundaries and use these very laws to full advantage.

Unfortunately, the world we live in is black and white. Education must find a healthy medium to instruct accordingly so that it is understood amongst our students the need to understand and not harbor bitterness. One should continue the growth of case, Mills v. Board of Education (1972) where financial issues prevented the education of seven disabled students. I look at every student as disabled and some students because of race are more disabled than others. Approaching each student as an advocate and not accepting failure or denial as an option to enhance a win win educational setting. The interior is a reflection of the exterior. One has to think it to do it; it is a state of mind.

My time as an educator will be abiding my own set of rules set forth by the government while implementing those same rules to the welfare of my students. My position and strength will project towards my students whom need and acquire that I enhance their direction for the future. A successful outcome is desired for today’s youth and my education and training will provide just that.